Monday, May 7, 2012

Why is Mary Wigman important to me? Samantha

I remember when I was first introduced to Mary Wigman when I was a freshman in college at Columbia College Chicago.  We spent maybe a class period on her, but I was capivated by her movement quality when my instructor showed us Witch Dance.  I feel that for the first time in dance that someone was brave enough to explore movement that wasn't the stereotypical, "pretty and free," movement.  Even though I know that not all of her works were like Witch Dance, but I commend Wigman on her bravery to create sometime that was beyond the norm. 
I think that as a mover I can relate to her the most as well...She loves throwing herself into the front and back space, I do as well.  After taking Laban Movement Notation, I loved experimenting with analytical side as well as putting my own style, just how she had with exploring the space, space holds, and cross-lateral connections.  I love the idea of integrating my creative and analytical vocie together when dancing as well as Mary did.
.
I really love this picture because Wigman is doing something that I tend to do alot when I dance.  I love going into the back space with my back.  Even though it is not the best for your spine, it is habit to me, the feeling of opening my chest to the sky feels like an ode to the dance gods, who have obviously have given me the ability to dance.  I feel that in the picture that Mary feels the same way.
-Sam

1 comment:

  1. It makes so much more sense to me to know that you, Sam, had felt a connection to Wigman previously. I thought that in you and Dani's performance you completely captured Wigman's spirit, but it did make me wonder why you would choose a dancer whose style is so serious to me when you always seem so playful. Knowing what you two have in common helps me draw the connection and I'm really glad that I got to see your interpretation of Wigman's dancing!

    ReplyDelete